Recipes of the world is where Chris and I bring our favourite dishes from our travels home, and we try to recreate them. Each one will have a video of us making it and a recipe.
Destination: Lyon, France
When we were planning our trip to France, watching Anthony Bourdain shows for inspiration, we knew we had to find time to put Lyon on the itinerary. Lyon is sometimes referred to as the real food capital of France. We had heard of a Lyonnaise Salad, and one day we stopped for lunch at the Brasserie Chantecler in the beautiful Croix-Rousse district of Lyon, and there it was on the menu. I’m a little ashamed to say when I go out for meals, I’m not usually one to order a salad. Oh, I am so glad I did. The Lyonnaise Salad was one of the nicest salads I’ve ever had. The dressing has this bite to it, and combine that with the croutons, poached egg and bacon… it was so good, I could eat it every day. Here is the original we got at Brasserie Chantecler…
So with a few adaptations, Chris and I have had this at home in Sydney a lot since we got back. Watch us make the Lyonnaise Salad in the video below…
Lyonnaise Salad Video
Lyonnaise Salad Recipe
- A small handful of chopped Tarragon
- A small handful of chopped Chives
- Salad Leaves (traditionally Frisee lettuce is used)
- 200g of Bacon sliced into cubes
- 2 x Eggs
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- A knob of Butter
- 2 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 Shallot Sliced
- 1 Clove of Garlic Crushed
- Salt & Pepper to season
Prepare ingredients as mentioned above.
- For the croutons, slice the baguette and lay pieces on baking tray, with a dash of oil over bread. Bake lightly. Rub garlic onto each piece of bread for extra flavour (optional).
- Slice bread into chunky cubes and fry with bacon.
- Mix the salad leaves, chives and bacon into a bowl.
- For the dressing, mix olive oil, dijon mustard, butter, red wine vinegar, shallots, garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Poach eggs
- Add the dressing, bacon and croutons to the salad leaves and mix. Top with poached egg.
Read More: 15 Things To Do In Lyon France