Deciding where to stay can have a huge impact on your holiday, from the ease of getting around, to the way you see the destination based on what’s around you, and even how you wake up in the morning. So we put together our accommodation guide to help you choose where to stay in Rome, based on our favourite picks from our own experience and research.
- Absolute Splurge
- Luxury For Less
- Hotels In Rome Under $200/night
- Our Overall Favourites
Where To Stay In Rome
Staying in the Centro Storico Rome is the best area to stay in Rome for first time visitors. Staying in the city or at least very close to public transport will make your time in Rome so much more enjoyable.
Unless of course, you’ve been to Rome before and you’re staying in a neighbourhood you want to explore anyway.
On our first trip to Rome, we made the mistake of staying out of the city and not close to public transport, and although it was fine, there is so much to do in Rome and you don’t want to waste time or money (taxis in Rome are pretty expensive) getting from A to B.
Booking Accommodation In Rome
When booking accommodation in Rome, these are the three main websites we use…
Hotels Combined is a great website for comparing prices across a range of websites to make sure you are getting the most competitive prices.
Booking.com has some of the best prices and a large number of accommodation options available.
Airbnb is an awesome website for renting locals apartments and homes for short stays. We love using Airbnb if we want to cook, wash our clothes, and have more of a local or home-like experience. You can take a look at some of our past Airbnb experiences here.
Rome Accommodation Guide
We have put together a guide of the best places to stay in Rome Italy from our experience of our time there and research. This includes 5 star hotels in Rome, boutique hotels in Rome, 4 star hotels in Rome and hotels in Centro Storico Rome.
Please note: Prices below were based on peak season, per night and are in Australian Dollars. Prices were correct at the time of publishing this article.
Absolute Splurge: Luxury Accommodation in Rome
Photo Credit: All hotel images in this section are credited to the individual hotels.
Luxe For Less
Luxury hotels in a good location in Rome can be super expensive. These options are still luxurious and still costly, just not as costly as some. Here are our picks:
- Babuino 181 from $400/night – Check Prices
- Piazza Di Spagna 9 from $370/night – Check Prices
- Albergo del Senato from $280/night – Check Prices
- Inn At The Roman Forum from $ 280/night – Check Prices
Hotels In Rome Under $200 /Night
- Relais Orso from $200/night – Check Prices
- Kolbe Hotel from $170/night – Check Prices
- Hotel Golden from $158 /night – Check Prices
- Palm Gallery Hotel from $200/night – Check Prices
- Relais 6 from $140/night – Check Prices
Our Favourite Airbnb Picks
There is such a great range of apartments in Rome on Airbnb. Based on our own search of Airbnb, looking at photos, location, reviews and price, these were some of our favourites…
- La petite Maison près du Vatican – $123/night
- Agathae426 – $132/night
- Maison De Charme Piazza del Popolo – $187/night
- Trevi Fountain Suite – $106/night
- Relais Piazza Di Spagna – $155/night
- Lovely Open Space In Rome – $108/night
Where To Stay In Rome: Our Overall Favourite Picks
- Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese – for the luxury and location
- Hotel Eden – love the location and design
- Albergo Del Senato – great location right near the Pantheon
- Piazza Di Spagna 9 – hotel design and location near the Spanish Steps
- Relais Orso – location and modern design
- Kolbe Hotel – well priced whilst still being within walking distance to many sights
Our Favourite Airbnb picks:
- La Petite Maison près du Vatican – well priced and near public transport
- Maison De Charme Piazza del Popolo – beautiful location in the city centre & near public transport
We will continually update this post to make sure we’re recommending the best Rome Accommodation, to help you choose where to stay in Rome Italy.
What’s your favourite place to stay in Rome?
Let us know in the comments below…